Tuesday 31 March 2015

UNNATURAL CREATURES By Neil Gaiman


The only thing I can be really sure about this book, is that I have read it for the short story category. But because it's a book of short stories, I can't really say either way whether or not I liked it. Some I felt could have been expanded into and entire book they were so amazing, whereas others I have no shame in admitting that I wanted to skip them.

This book is basically a collection of short stories (no surprise) which all center around an unnatural creature or two. Gaiman has chosen stories which take about everything from unicorns and phoenixes, to odd spots on the table cloth.

The book set itself up with two amazing stories. The first was so amazing that it left me with a three day book hangover, and the second was just an incredibly imaginative, original and well written short story. After the amazing success of these two, the rest in to volume just didn't seem quite able to match up to the same standard and left me feeling a little disappointed. Other that those first two, I think there were two, maybe three others which lifted me out of my disappointment momentarily.

I've never particularly been a fan of short stories and although I have enjoyed reading some of these, I don't feel that this book particularly champions them and shouts 'SHORT STORIES ARE AMAZING!' I think I remain to be convinced by the short story phenomenon.

A good book, but not one I will hurry back to any time soon. I would recommend it, after all this is only my opinion and we all like reading different things. You might like it and I hope that you do. Happy reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment