Thursday 26 March 2015

THE ELEPHANT MAN By Bernard Pomerance



For ages, I have been wondering what I should read for the play category and then it twigged, tonight is the opening night of my dramatics society's performance of The Elephant Man. I've been reading a play every night for the last two months.

This is an absolutely phenomenal play and you need a strong constitution to avoid being brought to tears. This is the true story of John Merrick, a young man burdened with horrific physical disfigurements, known to many as The Elephant Man. For many years John worked in freak shows, touring the country and selling himself for the rich and famous to gawk and laugh at. In this play we see the saviour, Dr Frederick Treves, take Merrick off the streets and into his own care, and attempt to introduce Merrick to society. It is an utterly moving story and one that I am all too familiar with, and feel I will be for many, many years to come.

The script in itself is rather basic, however I personally feel that Pomerance has done this to allow the actors enough room to interperate and develop the play as they see fit, something very important to actors, professional and amateur alike.

The only quarm I have is the use of modern americanisms such as 'alright' but other than that I have not a bad word to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment