Sunday 12 October 2014

THE WHISPERING SKULL By Jonathan Stroud


GOOD PEOPLE OF EARTH! ITS FINALLY HERE!

I've finally managed to get my hands on a copy of The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud, the waiting list at the library was not far off enormous.

Now, if you've been following my blog, you will remember that a while back a read the predecessor to this wonderful novel, The Screaming Staircase. I remember ranting and raving about how amazing that book was and as I brought this one home just three days ago, I felt that Stroud had indeed, set himself an incredibly high standard.

But never fear because, the genius author of The Lockwood and Co. series has done himself proud and gone over and beyond the standard he set himself last time.

I think the best thing about this novel is that as well as being a separate novel that can be read independently of the first, it takes one element of the previous novel and expands in, explains it and takes it to a whole new level. That tiny little side mystery that you never really get to see much about? well this time Stroud's written an entire novel on it. The other thing I think is brilliant things is that it isn't just a copy of the first book with different side characters and storyline. He has taken the supernatural and dystopian element from his work, and very cleverly woven into it a clear crime/detective style sequence of events making this book open to an even wider audience than it was before!

All the way through, I was on the edge of my seat, I was shocked and horrified as I was the darker side of characters whom I thought were just kids bent double with bad-luck, and all in all I don't have a bad word to say about it.

But one thing I will say is this: Mr Stroud, you better get writing, because that cliff hanger you left and the end almost killed me!

No comments:

Post a Comment