Friday 19 September 2014

THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO By Patrick Ness


For a good couple of years now, people have been telling me that I have to read some Patrick Ness novels and everyone seemed completely put out that I hadn't come across this brilliant author sooner.

If you haven't already twigged, this is the first Patrick Ness novel I have read, recommended specifically by a colleague at work who is slightly in love with said books. I must say that reading this book certainly has been a bit of a journey, I've laughed like a hyena and cried like a baby and consequently felt everything in between. One thing did shock me though, and that was the horrific violence and graphic-ness of the book. Now don't get me wrong, it's not all blood, guts and gore to the extent of putting you off a meal and making you never want to fall asleep again, far from it. However, you just don't really expect the awful secrets that Todd finally reveals in the end. You just never imagine its going to be something that horrific. Its one of those, where if you do imagine what it might be, you pray that it wont be the case even though you know it's probably true.

My favourite character by far is Manchee the dog, I mean how can you not instantly fall in love with him? In fact, I fell in love with him so much  that I considered stopping reading the books altogether if anything should happen to him, he's just that lovable and charismatic.

Living in a world without silence isn't as unusual as you would think it is and many people do live with it everyday, myself being one of them. As a result I found this book even more interesting than normal. 

Despite this being an excellent teen AND adult book, it is still quite hard in places because of the great relationships you build up with the characters. 

I have really, really enjoyed reading this, though I'm not sure when I'll get round to reading the following books due to my ever growing reading list, but I would certainly recommend this to anyone looking for a action packed yet unusual read.

No comments:

Post a Comment