Sunday 1 June 2014

A PASSAGE TO INDIA By E M Forster



I know it has been a while since I last posted anything, however A Passage To India has been a tough book to read, and even now I still haven't finished it. However, just because I say it is difficult to read, don't jump to the conclusion that it is a bad book and one that shouldn't be read. I really have enjoyed reading this novel as far as I have done.

The reason that I think I found it so difficult to read, is that is is written in a speech pattern that we are not used to, so naturally we have to think a little bit more about what I was reading. I LOVED the first chapter even though it was indeed very short. The detail and the description was incredible and is possibly the best opening of a book I have ever read! I cannot tell you amazing it was, it was like the author was painting a picture right there in front of my very eyes.

The beginning of chapter two I found a little difficult to understand, but then again I think that worked really well, as trying to decipher a conversation between a group of Indian men made me feel a stranger to that environment and made me feel like I was intruding on their conversation.

Forster has indeed been a very successful author because I have had definite emotions towards each of the different characters: Ronny I hate, Aziz is adorable and I love him, and Mr Fielding is the one who saved the day for me. I felt like he was the only one who was standing up successfully for what was right and he was by far my favourite character of the lot.

I have really really enjoyed the part of the book I have read, however between exams and family affairs, I just haven't had the time or the energy to sit down and think about what I'm reading.

I would recommend this book a lot of people, mainly a slightly older audience because of the themes and the politics that has been written about. It may take a while to read but it's a great book never the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment