Sunday 3 November 2013

THE GREAT GATSBY - F. Scott Fitzgerald (Initial Thoughts)


So far, I have only read the first chapter of the Great Gatsby and already I am feeling a number of different feelings about it. The Great Gatsby, has always been a book that I have considered to be a classic and when I found out that I would be studying it I was more than I got quite excited at the prospect of reading it.

Personally I found it a little difficult to plow through the first couple of pages. As a reader I struggle to listen to a narrator ramble on about their environment before the actual story starts. I prefer to learn about this bit by bit as we progress through. However now that I have made it through the rest of the first chapter and the narrator has actually stated recalling the story, I am hoping that it will continue to be easier to read through than the beginning.

In terms of character's, I seem to have taken an immediate liking to Daisy, which is very different to my immediate dislike of Tom and Miss Baker. I think the thing I like about Daisy so much, is that right from the moment you first meet her, you know she is hiding something, but not hiding something sinister as such, however I feel that this makes her a more real character which I felt more able to connect to. Tom and Miss Baker, in my mind seemed to good to be true and too far removed from myself for me to be able to form any really connections or judgments on them, however I feel that this may be beneficial later on in the book.

One line in this first chapter really stood out to me as a little odd but at the same time, rather intriguing. It's when he talks about visiting old friend whom he didn't know particularly well. This just didn't seem right to me that he should refer to someone whom he didn't know very well, as an old friend, who is someone you have known for a long time, have learnt a lot about and generally grown rather close to.

I cannot say that I am head over heels in excitement about ready the rest of this book, but I can see that it has a lot of potential and I therefore cannot deny it the chance to prove its brilliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment