Sunday 24 May 2015

RED DUST ROAD by Jackie Kay


Here we go!! First blog post from my new desk and new writing chair... very exciting! :)

I read this book for the category A Memoir. This is a very beautiful and insightful book, and i am glad to have read it.

Red Dust Road is Jackie Kay's (Famous Scottish author and poet) story of how she one day realised that her parents had a different skin colour to her and that maybe there was more to her family than she first thought. This is the journey that Kay takes to track down her birth parents, her Nigerian father, and her mother from the highlands of Scotland. In this brave and honest book, Kay talks about the experience of meeting her biological parents for the first time and the excitements and disappointments she is met with along the way.

Before I say anything else, I am glad I have read this and it is a wonderful, beautiful story which illustrates the true meaning of family, as well as being an interesting insight of racial differences from a time period different to our own. The only slight issue I may have to raise about this is it is quite repetitive and I feel that this book would be just as powerful, even if were half the size.

I know this is a short one, but I'm not entirely sure what else to write other than this is a lovely book about a women trying to find herself in her family, and find out where she came from. A book I would certainly recommend to those looking for a heart warming and poignant yet fairly easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment