Monday 11 May 2015

HALF BAD By Sally Green



As with many of the other books I've read recently, I found this one on the returns shelf at work and I liked the look of it so I thought I'd give it a shot. Just in time to, just as I was craving something of the fantasy genre.

I must say that this is a jolly good read. It well written, it's easy to read and it's incredibly satisfying.

Half Bad is set in an England where witched are common and living among the 'fains', also known as the normal, unmagical people. There has been war between the good white witches and the supposedly evil black witches, however for one young boy, things aren't as easy as black and white. Nathan is a half code. His mother was a white witch, and his father is the most notorious and feared black witch in the country. Scared of Nathan, the council keep him chained up for a couple of years. When he turns seventeen, Nathan must have received his Giving or he'll die. The only snag is that the only living relative of Nathan is his father and no one has seen him in years, so he sets off in search of Mercury, the only witch who can save him now.

As I said previously, this is a really satisfying book. There's not so much in this book to analyse. Just to enjoy. The protagonist is lovable and relateable, the antagonists are hateable and there are just enough twists and turns to keep the story interesting while keeping it so you don't have to think to much, just sit back and enjoy the story.

I would definitely like to read the sequel and then the third part when it comes out later this year. This is a book I would recommend to anyone and everyone, a brilliant read.

No comments:

Post a Comment