Monday 14 October 2013

MIDWINTERBLOOD by Marcus Swedgwick



I have been wanting to read some of Sedgwick's work for quite a while now and the funny this is, is that I didn't even realize who the author of this book was until I had got it home and had read the first chapter. All I can say at this point is that I will definitely be reading some of his other work in the future.

The crops have failed three years in a row and numerous sacrifices have failed to restart the growing of crops and the people have no alternative than to sacrifice their king, King Erikir in a hope that this will please the gods and cause the crops to grow again, torn from his beloved wife he promises to live seven times and to find her in each life and love her like never before. Midwinterblood follows Erikir on his journey through his seven lives, searching and loving his beloved Merle until his final life as Eric Seven.

I was hooked into the book after the first page and found it incredibly difficult to put down. Seen as the book is split into seven parts and and epilogue, I tried to ration myself to a part a day, so that I wouldn't get so drawn into the book that I would have no time left for my homework, however instead of reading just part three on the third day, I couldn't tear myself away from the book to such an extent that I read parts three through seven and the epilogue as well.

MIDWINTERBLOOD really is a fascinating book; as it starts in the year 2073 and with every section of the book, moves back a number of years until the final part which is set in some unknown time before the tenth century. At first I was very skeptical about how this would affect the book and its narrative, but I found that I had nothing to fear because as well as making for an incredible read, it really developed the story in a way that could not be done by a conventional linear narrative. what Sedgwick has done is very rare and I think quite risky but I am pleased to say that I believe that he has done himself proud and produce a novel that is worthy of the award it has been nominated for (Cilip Carnegie Medal 2013). The other thing I found that these backwards time movements caused was a shift in genre, initially it started out as a modern day love story, then a war tale and the further back in time we went the more fantastical it got until we were reading about vikings and blood sacrifice, superstition and witches.

MIDWINTERBLOOD, is like seven separate stories that are all connected un some way: Eric, Merle, The hare, they all lead to the same point and each one has its own characters which reflect those in the initial part, like when you read a book and all the characters have an uncanny resemblance to someone you know.

It is not often that I become attached to the main characters of the story, normally I look into the side characters who normally get overlooked however in this book I definitely attached myself to Merle, also Eric, but not as strongly as Merle. I think this is because I could see that Merle knew the secret of her past and she knew Eric from before in their other lives, but right from the start I felt a connection between the two of us.

I am really pleased that Sedgwick chose for Eric and Merle to appear in each other's live as different people rather than just lover (mother and child, Brother and sister etc...) not only because I think had they constantly found each other as lover's it would have been predictable and less emotive, but I think that fact that they found each other in so many ways, really symbolizes the depth of their love for each other, a love that goes deeper than romance.

I really liked the motif of the hare that Sedgwick has used throughout the entire book. It is subtle but obvious at the same time, it doesn't stand out and shout at you but you always know it is there through out the book.

Out of the seven lives that Eric and Merle live I think the one that the author titles The Artist is my favourite. I really felt moved by the chapter and I though it was really emotive and sweet. I recognised part of myself in the child; Merle and I remember that when I was young I spent most of my time talking with adults just as she does in this life. I think that is why I found this chapter so relatable.

The final thing that I am going to leave you with is the thought of the dragon orchid and its importance in the book. Although it does not seem to be focal point, and not even the reason that King Erikir was killed in the first place, but that flower is the reason why the island is how it us and without it, there would be nothing magical and nothing special about the Island of blessed, but maybe there's more to the flower than first meets the eye.

This is a book that I would highly recommend to everyone, the individual parts are so unique that there is something for everyone to enjoy in this magnificent book my Marcus Sedgwick. I have nothing for this book other than very high praise. Next time you get the chance, grab a copy and dive in. Its a quick and easy read that will keep you turning the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment