Friday 14 November 2014

TESS OF THE D'URBERVILLES - By Thomas Hardy (PHASE THE SIXTH)



I think the author here, is just plainly on a mission to make his readers angry, an I must say that if this was indeed his main goal for this book, then Hardy has most definitely succeeded! I never want to see Alec d'Urberville again.

This phase of the book, really does give a clear account of the social views of the time period. We know they are given throughout the entire book, but they are especially clear in this phases. Particularly towards the end when we discover that the Durbeyfield family may have had a home for the near future, on a weekly tenancy had it not been for Tess and the way that she is viewed due to her misfortune. This also makes me really angry... but lets be honest here... the entire book makes me so angry it's unbelievable! Angry in a good way though, angry in a good way.

THE CONVERT. That is the title of this phase and develops numerous possible plot lines prior to reading this; Does Clare finally change his mind about Tess? Do Tess's parents stop believing the stories about their heritage? What of Alec, does he finally stop stalking Tess?
The thought of Alec finding religion is the last thing that you would ever imagine being the base of this huge part of the story. Initially I felt like I was being forced to like him and forced to forgive him as if someone makes a commitment of faith then there is nothing that can be said against it, it is what it is and you can't do anything about it. However, when Alec says 'I have done nothing', you know that his 'conversion' is nothing but a facade which he cannot keep up once he meets Tess for a second time. The basis of converting to faith and Christianity is realising you have done something wrong and repenting of it, turning from ever doing it again, however, Alec does not recognise that he has something to repent of and therefore cannot repent of something he doesn't believe was ever wrong. Is it bad that I was pleased when I found out that I didn't have to like him?

I got so excited on both occasions when Tess deliberately hurt Alec, particularly in the first instance where she slaps him with her leather glove and makes his lip bleed. I almost jumped for joy when I read that bit and I was overwhelmed by the fact that Tess had finally decided to physically and properly stand up for herself instead of making a half-hearted, womanly effort. However, my immediate after thought was 'is this too little, too late?' If only she had done something like that back with those blasted strawberries, things may never have turned out so negatively... or they could have been worse, you never know.

Discussing Tess's return home brought to light more interpretations of this section than we originally thought possible. My fellow, student seemed to think that the branch waving in front of the window, making it blink (Chapter 50) was there to add a momentary relief for the reader as we see Tess finally returning home to where she belongs. They thought that it was a good thing. However, I was of the opinion that this wasn't as positive as everyone else thought. The 'winking' light at the window of their cottage reminded be of a candle flame flicking just before it goes out. I took this to be a foreshadowing of the family having to leave home, as if Tess is returning home just as the last flame of life is flickering from the place that they call home. Multiple interpretations, you gotta love 'em!

So, we've only got one phases left to go, and from the spoilers my classmates have left me with, this isn't going to be pretty, but I'm sure we can get though this together. See you there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment