Tuesday 10 December 2013

A CUT GLASS BOWL (short story) by F. Scott Fitzgerald



I must say, after reading The Great Gatsby by the same author, I wasn't exactly looking forward to reading Fitzgerald's short stories, however I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by A Cut Glass Bowl and I have really enjoyed reading this first short story.

The story covers about twenty years of a woman named Evelyn and the events of her life over this period of time. We also get insight into her husband although this is usually negative considering the circumstances or her affair in her younger years at the start of their marriage. Although her children do get mentioned in the story, we hear little about them far from the few details about Julie's accident.

I think that this is a truly is a fine example of a short story. It has everything that a novel should have but in far fewer words. There is love, disappointment, fear, drunkenness, sadness, anger, hate, awkwardness. In just a few short pages you are over loaded with so many different emotions and feelings that all add up to create this incredible story that flows brilliantly.

One of the things I find interesting about this tale is the way that Evelyn describes her house maids. Not only does she put them down "well those swedes-", she doesn't even finish her sentence, assuming that the audience share her disgust at the maids, but also that way that Fitzgerald writes their dialogue makes the maids sound almost unintelligent and very simple minded. Through this I feel that the author is making a statement or a suggestion about society at this period of time in history (beginning to the 20th century). I feel that the author is trying to tells that immigrants from central and eastern Europe are looked down upon by these upper-middle class Americans and possible seen as inferior, they failed to move to America and make their fortune when they had the chance so now they are having to wait on the people who beat them too it. Even when referring to western European places such as Ireland, although she describes them as being good maids and being good at what they do, she is still assigning them to remain as nothing but house maids.

I thought that the ending of the short story was incredibly effective. Not once was it mentioned in the text that Donald (Evelyn's son) had died and yet through the way the text has been written and the actions and thoughts of Evelyn we see very clearly what the situation is. Throughout the story it is fascinating how the thing that is supposed to be a wonderful, beautiful gift that is displayed for everyone to see and yet to is the source of all Evelyn's problems.

Overall I felt that 'A Cut Glass Bowl' had everything that I needed it to have to be a complete, entertaining, quick and intelligent read. I'm not a hundred percent sure what else I can write about to be honest, other that during the chapter describing the punch party, I genuinely felt myself getting more and more anxious on Evelyn's behalf which I believe is a sign that Fitzgerald has done his job properly. These are just my first impressions of the story as a whole, until I have studied it in deeper detail I think I have summed up my feelings about the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment